Independence Observed
This morning I sat and watched Avery play. As she crawled through the house, hands slightly turned in and plams slamming the floor, she cruised by me without any acknowledgement. She was on a mission heading straight to the back of the house. I just sat and observed, it was so remarkable. She crawled straight down the hallway, past her toy shelf, and into her bedroom closing the door behind her. I was in awe, and the realization hit me that she isn't a baby anymore. Avery is a little girl, my independent, spirited, curious, and determined daughter. A few minute later she opened and closed the door a few times (a game she really enjoys) and then again kept it closed (for some privacy I suppose) to rummaged through her cds and books. A few short minutes went by again and the door reopened. She then ventured out to explore her toys. This time she peered up and gave me her signature hand extention and her heart melting smile to acknowledge me, but quickly resumed her play. She played on her piano a little, repeatedly hitting the "D" button and listening to the voice say, "D, Dog", then mimicking with "Dowg, Dowg". At one point she had a small tumble and recovered on her own without even a glace my way--what a "tuffey". She is my Joy, my greatest blessing, and my greatest accomplishment. I am in awe of her. As Matt Redman played in the background, "You are good, You are good, and Your love endures", I sat and beamed with pride and gratitute that the Creator of life would position me to be involved in the creation and growth of this precious life--I am so undeserving and so thankful! As I continued my observation she headed back my way, looking up and smiling at me for part of her journey back up the hallway. Then, as if by a flip of a switch, her hands came out from beneath her body, her head laid on the floor, and sweet small cry began to form. My baby had returned--it was time for a diper change and some breakfast. She still needs me! As much as I enjoyed studying her independence this morning, I was just as grateful for the nuzzle in my neck that I received when I picked her up in my arms to resume my mothering duties. Who knew that a dirty diaper would be so welcome.


3 Comments:
Sandy, that was beautiful. They grow so fast, and as amazing as that growth is, it's wonderful to be needed sometimes. Thanks for sharing such a personal moment with us!
Sandy, I hope you are journaling some still. This is amazing. I believe God gives us children just to show us his great power and love for us. Suzi
Sandy,
Thank you for opening your heart and home, for sharing this movie made from words... no, it was much better than a movie because it shared your thoughts and emotions. What a precious gift. Thanks you.
Dad
Post a Comment
<< Home